Housing Pathways

Private Rental Assistance

Private Rental Assistance

Apr 2018

Private Rental Assistance

Housing Pathways offers a range of options to help you secure a private rental property including:

  • Tenancy Facilitation
  • Private Rental Brokerage Service
  • Tenancy Guarantee
  • Rentstart (Bond Loan, Advance Rent, Temporary Accommodation and Tenancy Assistance).

Tenancy Facilitation provides shortterm assistance to help people understand renting in the private market, searching for properties, collecting appropriate documentation, making applications, and dealing with landlords and real estate agents.

Under Tenancy Facilitation we will also provide information on paying a deposit, paying a bond and advance rent, setting a tenancy start date, signing the tenancy agreement, completing the property condition report, paying rent, and information on moving into the property, such as organising telephone, gas and electricity connections.

This service assists people who have support arrangements in place and who are assessed as having the capacity to rent in the private market. The service helps develop and enhance a client’s capacity to access the private rental market, with the client directing the process as much as possible to build their confidence and skills.

We also work with landlords and real estate agents, building partnerships and networks to source potential private rental properties.

A Tenancy Guarantee is intended to encourage private landlords and real estate agents to rent properties to people who are having difficulties entering the private rental market.

A Tenancy Guarantee of up to $1500 is available to landlords and real estate agents to cover possible rental arrears and/or property damage over and above the rental bond.

There are a number of options available to people through Rentstart.

Bond Loan: Family and Community Services (FACS) may be able to assist you with a loan of up to 100 percent of your rental bond, which is repayable to FACS Housing. Your payments will be returned to you at the end of the tenancy if there is no claim made by the landlord or real estate agent.

In some circumstances, additional assistance of advance rent may be provided. To be eligible, you must have a significant reason for moving from your current accommodation such as a medical issues or eviction. We also consider situations where you or a member of your household’s personal safety is at risk as in cases of domestic violence or child abuse or neglect.

Temporary Accommodation: If you are homeless and can demonstrate that you have nowhere safe to stay for that night, FACS Housing may offer to pay for a small number of nights of temporary accommodation. It would be a condition of this assistance that you show you are actively looking for other short-term or long-term accommodation.

Tenancy Assistance: If your private rental property is threatened because of rent or water arrears, you local FACS Housing office may be able to help you.

Complete the Application for Housing Assistance form, available from our website or your local social housing provider. Your application will be assessed to determine if a private rental assistance product is suitable for you.

If you have found a property to rent in the private market and want to apply for a Rentstart Bond Loan, fill out the Application for Rentstart Bond Loan form available on the Housing Pathways website. You can complete an online application or paper application. If you complete a paper application you will need to fax it to FACS Housing on 1300 722 404 or scan and email a signed copy to rentstart@facs.nsw. gov.au. You will be advised whether or not your application for Rentstart is approved by SMS and in writing.

If you believe we made the wrong decision, you should first discuss your concerns with a client service officer. You may also ask to have the decision reviewed. To do this, you can fill in the online Review of Decisions (First Tier Appeal) Application form or obtain a form available from our website www.housingpathways.nsw.gov.au or at your local FACS Housing office.

Are all your questions answered?

For more information call the Housing Contact Centre on 1800 422 322, visit www.housing.nsw.gov.au, or visit your local FACS office.

Translation service

If you need help with interpreting or translation because English is not your first language, phone the All Graduates Translating and Interpreting Service on 1300 652 488. They will phone the housing organisation and interpret for you for free.

إذا كنت بحاجة للمساعدة في الترجمة الشفهية أو الترجمة لأن اللغة الإنجليزية ليست لغتك الأولى، اتصل بشركة "أول جراديويتس" All Graduates على الرقم 1300 652 488.

如果你的母語不是英語,需要口譯或筆譯幫助,請致電All Graduates,電話號碼:1300 652 488。

Nếu quý vị cần hỗ trợ biên dịch hoặc phiên dịch vì tiếng Anh không phải là ngôn ngữ chính của quý vị, vui lòng gọi All Graduates theo số 1300 652 488.